Dukes Dispatch

Providing a Pathway for Student Voice on Campus and Throughout the Community

Breaking News
  • February 29Neon Spirit Week: March 18th - 22nd + GLOW Pep Rally
  • December 15Don't forget to follow the Dukes Dispatch on Tiktok! @dukes_dispatch_ghs
  • April 10Check Out Our New Stories! New Stories Posted Every Two Weeks!!

Dukes Dispatch

Dukes Dispatch

Poll

This poll has ended.

Which is your favorite flavor?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

The Importance of the BioBlitz

Trees
Lela Schlangen
Trees

A BioBlitz is a scheduled counting of every living species in a specific pre-decided area. During BioBlitzes citizens count birds, pollinators, trees, flowering plants, fungi, and bug species. The species recorded are often posted online and put into a census. A BioBlitz is usually a relatively high-intensity venture, lasting only 24 hours, although some can  go on for a month or longer. These events stimulate data for scientists and allow opportunities for citizens to become involved in scientific research.

BioBlitzes encourage the recording of new species and provide resources and information for scientists to use when studying local ecosystems. They increase citizen engagement in the sciences and give people a reason to observe the life around them. BioBlitzes are a large reason why new species are discovered in high-population areas because they give people a reason to learn and notice life.