Dukes Dispatch

Providing a Pathway for Student Voice on Campus and Throughout the Community

Breaking News
  • February 29Neon Spirit Week: March 18th - 22nd + GLOW Pep Rally
  • December 15Don't forget to follow the Dukes Dispatch on Tiktok! @dukes_dispatch_ghs
  • April 10Check Out Our New Stories! New Stories Posted Every Two Weeks!!

Dukes Dispatch

Dukes Dispatch

Poll

This poll has ended.

Which is your favorite flavor?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Old Dominion: Everything You Should Know

Getty Images

You may only know them from their hit song, “One Man Band,” or from the catchy up beat song, “Hotel Key,” but Old Dominion continues to put out amazing songs. Old Dominion is also a locally produced band. Matthew Ramsey, Brad Tursi, Trevor Rosen, Whit Sellers, and Geoff Sprung are all Virgininians. All of the band members went to a college in Virginia. Ramsey and Sellers grew up in the Commonwealth together. Sellers later met Sprung and Tursi when they were students at James Madison University. Ramsey went to college at Virginia Commonwealth University. 

The band was founded in 2007. Tursi was the last one to join the band as he joined in 2012. Tursi is a successful songwriter as well as guitarist. Tursi has written for other artists like Kelsea Ballerini, Luke Bryan, and Blake Shelton. Also writing “Make you Miss me” ft Sam Hunt. Although Tursi is not the lead vocalist he is the voice behind the song New York at Night and the songwriter behind their first number one hit “Break Up with Him”.

In 2015 The band released their first album titled “Meat and Candy”. This album explores the feelings of falling in love, but at the wrong time. Their number one song “Break Up with Him” is a song about being in love with someone who has a partner. Their second single was a high upbeat song called “Snapback”. When the album was released those songs skyrocketed with “Snapback” being in the Number One spot and “Break Up with Him” being in the Number Two spot.

¨Happy Endings is the “heartbreak” album. This features songs like “Not Everything’s About You” and “So You Go”. This album was one of their first to hit number one as soon as it hit the public. It was coined by music critics as “the sounds of Nashville.” On the Billboard top 200 it debuted at number 7 selling over 107,400 copies in the US as of 2019. 

Their self-titled album “Old Dominion” is home to their most popular song. A song that has a somber tone and makes you relive past loves that may be still in the back of your mind. This song is called “One Man Band”. This album was applauded because their fans felt as if this was truly “their album”. “The fact that they don’t seem to be trying quite so hard this third time around makes their eponymous album feel natural and, yes, more like themselves.” Said the producer of AllMusic. 

The newest album Time, Tequila, and Therapy describes all the good times they have had on the tour. The summer song “I Was on a Boat That Day” was the first single of this album. This song peaked all over the country music community. Hitting number nine in less than i day in all different countries including the US, Canada, and Australia. It was described as,” [A] Record that demands your attention. It’s a record that entertains and it’s right up there with the best of the contemporary country music records to be released in 2021.” Country music will never die as long as Old Dominion is around.