• February 29Neon Spirit Week: March 18th - 22nd + GLOW Pep Rally

One Piece Movie Review

One Piece Movie Review

The One Piece live action was released on Netflix on August 31, 2023; it was originally an animated TV show as well as a manga series created by Eiichiro Oda on July 22, 1997. The live-action, although well done, is lacking in aspects such as humor. The anime and manga usually take themselves lightly, and characters often joke during serious or emotional scenes. Contradictorily, the live-action is lacking in jokes, even during scenes where humor is needed to lighten the dark and heavy mood the show sets. Another thing the live-action suffers from is dry and emotionless acting. In scenes in the anime\manga where there are characters screaming and in tears, the live-action counterpart executes with zero emotion at all and fairly blank expressions. Overall, I would say the live-action does a pretty good job of bringing One Piece to life, and I enjoy that they added new plots. I would definitely recommend it to someone trying to get into One Piece.