• February 29Neon Spirit Week: March 18th - 22nd + GLOW Pep Rally

Size Inclusivity in Fashion

Charlie Arnone

Clothing stores are not inclusive to all, fact or opinion? As the sizes go up in clothing stores it becomes harder to find clothes for plus-size people that are in with the trends. Based on the data I have collected from my interviews a lot of people seem to share this opinion. Gabi Green in 9th grade says that stores only cater to petite people. In most stores, you will find that as you go up in size it becomes harder to find crop tops and tight clothing, instead it’s clothes to cover the body. The plus-size community should be able to show skin like everyone else that society claims fits the beauty standards. Nobody is perfect, all bodies are unique and there really is no such thing as a perfect body. The beauty standards society sets that people can only be a small-medium is absurd and degrading.     

When you walk into a store and look at the clothing section, normally you can see a big difference in the way the clothes look. On the plus side of the store there are darker colors and the clothes have more coverage. However, when you get to the small section of the store the clothes are more colorful and made to show skin. This is not fair though, why should the plus-size community have to cover up? Especially with the clothing trends we have today, everything cropped and ripped is what most people wear. Finding clothing options for plus-sized people that show more skin and fit the fashion trends are a lot harder to find than clothing that fits the trends for smaller people. A lot of the time you can’t just walk into a store and find options within the store for plus size people, they have to go to certain stores or really look to find their clothes. The plus-sized community does not deserve to be excluded from being able to wear clothes that show skin.   

Kinsley Garner, 9th grade has said that all stores should be inclusive to all sizes no matter what. There is no reason that plus-size people have to look harder than smaller people to find clothes that go with the trends. We as a society should not have beauty standards, all it does is make people self-conscious. The beauty standards that are made known are unrealistic. Bodies come in all sizes, all are normal and all are beautiful. In conclusion, now that you have read this, what do you think? Clothing stores are not inclusive of all facts or opinions.