• June 4If you are reading this go enjoy your summer!

Collecting Craze

Collecting+Craze

The art of collecting toys and other figures has been a longtime hobby of mine and many others who enjoy pop culture collectibles. For those of us who appreciate finding and accumulating our own menagerie of figures, the world we live in today has a lot to offer. Ever since the first Barbie doll was released in 1959, people have been crazy for collecting toys and other action figures as they’ve proved to be worth quite a lot of money once time passes. But as the years have gone by, Barbie dolls aren’t exactly the most popular collectible anymore. The most sought-after collectibles in our current day and age seem to be Funko POP! figures and Youtooz collectibles. 

Funko was invented in 1998, founded by Mike and Claudia Becker. The company started out making bobblehead figurines of pop culture characters they called Wacky Wobblers. But they really started to become popular in 2010 when their new line of POP! Figures were created, and they only took off from there. The company has also made many other different toy lines, such as Funko Soda, Rewind figures, Vinyl Gold, board games, and even accessories and enamel pins. There are currently two Funko store locations, one located at their headquarters in Everett, Washington, and the other is in Hollywood, California. Additionally, in 2019 they merged with the fashion accessories line Loungefly, which is known for their pop culture character-inspired mini backpacks. But, through and through, POP! figures remain Funko’s most popular line of figures. Some of these figures have become quite rare and expensive, with the most expensive one ever being sold for $210,000. They’ve made over 1,000 figures of characters from all kinds of different franchises, and that number continues to grow. 

Youtooz Collectibles, founded in 2019, has quickly gained popularity for its stylized figures of internet celebrities and memes. Reminiscent of Funko’s designs, Youtooz figures feature stylized eyes and have become highly sought-after in recent years. The company’s fast success can be attributed to its ability to adapt and expand its range of figures to include well-known characters from video games, movies, TV shows, and other media, all while maintaining its distinctive style. By staying true to its original formula, Youtooz has carved out a unique niche in the collectibles market and captured the attention of fans worldwide. They’ve recently even started to make gummy candy based on various characters. With their eye-catching designs and attention to detail, Youtooz collectibles have become a favorite among collectors and enthusiasts, solidifying the company’s position as a key player in the industry. 

So, all in all, the collectibles market has quickly become quite popular in the past few years alone, but what do you think? Will Funko continue to reign supreme over the collectible industry, or will Youtooz’s fun new style rise to the top? Only time will tell.