• June 4If you are reading this go enjoy your summer!

The Commercialization of Holidays

PR Daily

Holidays have been modernized and exploited for profit, and in my opinion, we should change some things about certain holidays. Holidays such as Memorial Day, Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year’s Day, Labor Day and Independence Day are all federal holidays. Holidays such as Halloween, Easter, Flag Day, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and other “minor” holidays are not federal. Some “days” such as Martin Luther King Day, George Washington’s birthday and Columbus Day, are federal, while most others are not.

In my opinion, the “days” are already perfectly fine, being able to be celebrated by those who choose, while not important to those who do not care. I will not give my opinion on “months” as I don’t have as strong an opinion on them.

I think Memorial Day is already a good holiday and does not need to be commercialized, and the same goes for New Year’s Day, Labor Day, Martin Luther King Day, Flag Day, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Halloween, and Independence Day. 

Starting strong, Christmas is a holiday of everyone buying presents for children, Santa, peppermint, trees, and conglomerate expansion and support. Christmas should be a Christian celebration with saint Nicholas, charity, gift-giving and should commemorate the birth of Jesus of Nazareth. Easter is a spring holiday represented by chicks, bunnies, eggs and candy. Easter actually celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ, celebrated by Christians, and could be mostly the same after the change. As you can see a lot of the holidays are actually Christian, such as Saint Patrick’s Day, Halloween, Easter, and more. Unlike the rest, Halloween could be the same, and while it is a Christian holiday, it is widely celebrated and has been for quite some time. Halloween can still represent the day before All Saints and not be religious as it is already mostly celebrated non-religiously and accepted by everyone. Thanksgiving is already an underappreciated holiday, but some slight changes would be good. The only changes I would make is that deer, seafood, fruit berries, and vegetables such as onions, carrots, beans, spinach, and other greens were more accepted as Thanksgiving food.

In typical holiday fashion, the tradition is important, but it is more about getting together. Getting together is the main thing that matters nowadays. Getting together and celebrating anything is just better than almost anything you can do. Whether or not you just hang out with a friend and talk or if you throw a party for the whole neighborhood. The real reason we celebrate is to bring the people of America together by annual celebration.